C++ Network Engineer / “Serpents in the Mist” Turn-Based Tabletop Strategy (TBTS)
We’re looking for a C++ Network Engineer that is a strategy game enthusiast ready to work with our turn-based tabletop game Serpents in the Mist and the proprietary and third-party technology that powers it. Experience in multi-platform game development and knowledge of Steamworks SDK, Vivox SDK, Open GL/ES and DirectX 11+ is a big plus. If you’re familiar with low-level network protocols and know how to tame any router (no matter how exotic) for NAT punch-through, we’d most likely hire you on the spot!
- You have fond memories of Advance Wars, Metal Marines, and Final Fantasy Tactics. You saw the potential in Banner Saga Factions long before anyone else. You’re also familiar with Sid Meier’s Pirates! and Carcassone (but they’re not on your all-time favorite strategy games list).
- You understand that cunning and intuition of a human player will easily outmatch any AI game opponent and that it’s nearly impossible to design a gameplay-intended AI that can beat an experienced player. You also understand that’s not really the point.
- You are fully aware that front-end development and an intuitive GUI is an integral part of any strategy game.
- You know that making games is not only very hard, but also a clash of artistry and technology and marketing and iteration and timing and luck — and that it’s all about as predictable as the deaths of the starring cast in an early episode of Game of Thrones.
Tasks include but are not limited to adjusting game AI and player flow, retrofitting multi-platform asynchronous network code and error handling from scratch, upgrading core mechanics, and reimplementing GUI in our proprietary game framework and multi-platform “engine” Knarr™.
You have no problem finding your way around large code-bases, every issue you encounter is just another opportunity to improve existing code.
We use Visual Studio, Xcode, custom RedMine, Sub-Version/Git to manage code, describe tasks, follow-up on issues, and to maintain content and artwork assets.
- Initially Remote/Offsite (text- and video-based communication via Discord).
- Implement multi-platform asynchronous network play and voice/text communication using Vivox SDK for Windows/macOS/Switch/Xbox One
- Improve, refactor and optimize existing code using Visual Studio and Xcode.
- Analyze, debug and fix errors on an ongoing basis resulting in clean builds with a minimum of errors and warnings.
- Learning of Knarr™ framework and architecture, from game interface to graphics API interface.
- Ongoing development of clean, well-structured and portable C++ code.
- Track, report and manage tasks and code using SVN/GiT and RedMine.
- You have shipped at least one commercial strategy game on PC or on Mac or on both.
- Experience working on PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox console platforms would be advantageous.
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine 4 would not hurt for ancillary Legendo projects that may be in development (not a requirement).
- Using tabs (not spaces) you write simple, data oriented code that is easy to read, easy to debug, easy to maintain, and easy to optimize.
- A university degree in Computer Science would be favorable.
- We expect that you have exceptional C++ skills coupled with strong math abilities and strong knowledge of object-oriented programming.
- Good understanding of gameplay systems: AI, camera, player control, game objects.
- Strong written and verbal English skills.
Please send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.
Unfortunately, due to the high quantity of resumes that we receive every week; we will be unable to get back to you if we have passed on your application.