C++ Gameplay Engineer / “Sigrid” Turn-Based Strategy
We’re looking for a C++ Gameplay Engineer that is a turn-based strategy game enthusiast and who is capable of working with proprietary technology. Experience in multi-platform game development at the very least on Windows and macOS and some knowledge of Open GL/ES and DirectX 11+ is a requirement. Xbox One or PS4 console-experience is preferred.
- You have fond memories of Heroes of Might & Magic III or Pirates! or Advance Wars or Metal Marines.
- You understand that cunning and intuition of a human player will easily outmatch any AI game opponent and that it’s nearly impossible to design a gameplay-intended AI that can beat an experienced player. You also understand that’s not really the point.
- You are fully aware that front-end development and an intuitive GUI is an integral part of any strategy game.
- You know that making games is not only very hard, but also a clash of artistry and technology and marketing and iteration and timing and luck — and that it’s all about as predictable as the deaths of the starring cast in an early episode of Game of Thrones.
Tasks include but are not limited to adjusting game AI and player flow, upgrading core mechanics, and reimplementing GUI in our proprietary turn-based game framework Sigrid™.
You have no problem finding your way around large code-bases, every issue you encounter is just another opportunity to improve existing code.
We use Visual Studio, Xcode, custom RedMine, Sub-Version/Git to manage code, describe tasks, follow-up on issues, and to maintain content and artwork assets.
- Initially Remote/Offsite (text- and video-based communication via Discord).
- Improve, refactor and optimize existing code using Visual Studio and Xcode.
- Analyze, debug and fix errors on an ongoing basis resulting in clean builds with a minimum of errors and warnings.
- Learning of Sigrid™ framework and architecture, from game interface to graphics API interface.
- Ongoing development of clean, well-structured and portable C++ code.
- Track, report and manage tasks and code using SVN/GiT and RedMine.
- You have shipped at least one commercial strategy game on PC or on Mac or on both.
- Experience working on PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox console platforms would be advantageous.
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine 4 would not hurt for ancillary Legendo projects that may be in development (not a requirement).
- Using tabs (not spaces) you write simple, data oriented code that is easy to read, easy to debug, easy to maintain, and easy to optimize.
- A university degree in Computer Science would be favorable.
- We expect that you have exceptional C++ skills coupled with strong math abilities and strong knowledge of object-oriented programming.
- Good understanding of gameplay systems: AI, camera, player control, game objects.
- Strong written and verbal English skills.
Please send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.
Unfortunately, due to the high quantity of resumes that we receive every week; we will be unable to get back to you if we have passed on your application.