C++ Gameplay Engineer / “Quest for the Golden Rage” Metroidventure ARPG
We’re looking for a passionate and independent C++ Gameplay Engineer that is a bit of an engine and GPU API enthusiast and who is capable of working with proprietary technology. Experience in multi-platform game development on Windows and consoles and a strong knowledge of Open GL/ES and DirectX 11+ is a requirement.
- You have no problem finding your way around large code-bases, every issue you encounter is just another opportunity to improve existing code.
- Your passion for side-scrolling adventure and action games is genuine. You’ve lost count of all the hours you’ve sunk into Dust: An Elysian Tale, Super Metroid, Ori and the Blind Forest, Streets of Rage, ActRaiser II, and last but not least, Delphine Software’s Amiga-classic Future Wars.
- You understand that making games is not only very hard, but also a clash of artistry and technology and marketing and iteration and timing and luck — and that it’s all about as predictable as the deaths of the starring cast in an early episode of Game of Thrones.
Tasks include but are not limited to co-designing, implementing and adjusting new game logic and gameplay mechanics, and also to further develop and maintain our proprietary in-house engine THORODIN™.
We hope to find a remotely located, highly motivated, independent, focused and organized person capable of working on multiple tasks at the same time.
Having played relevant side-scrolling adventure ARPG and beat’em up games all the way till the end would be a substantial advantage for this position.
We use Visual Studio, Xcode, RedMine, and Git/Sub-Version to manage code, describe tasks, follow-up on issues, report bugs, and to maintain content and artwork assets.
- Initially Remote/Offsite (text- and video-based communication via Discord).
- Improve, refactor and optimize existing code using Visual Studio and Xcode.
- Analyze, debug and fix errors on an ongoing basis resulting in clean builds with a minimum of errors and warnings.
- Port and maintain Windows DirectX and macOS Metal2 version of our proprietary engine THORODIN™.
- Understanding THORODIN™ engine architecture, from game interface to graphics API interface.
- Ongoing development of clean, well-structured and portable C++ code.
- Occasional maintenance and development of GINNUNGAGAP™, our 2D world builder.
- Track, report and manage tasks and code using (custom) RedMine.
- Prior experience with GPU APIs and proprietary OpenGL/DirectX engines in Windows, macOS, and iOS.
- Experience working on PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox console platforms would be advantageous.
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine 4 would not hurt for ancillary Legendo projects that may be in development (not a requirement).
- Using tabs and fighting spaces, you write simple, data oriented code that is easy to read, possible to debug, somewhat easy to maintain, and difficult to optimize (since you’ve already optimized it in a way that would not only challenge John Carmack, but as as a side-effect fully explains quantum theory).
- A university degree in Computer Science would be favorable.
- We expect that you have exceptional C++ skills coupled with strong math abilities and strong knowledge of object-oriented programming.
- Good understanding of gameplay systems: camera, physics, player control, game objects and related logic and “AI”.
- Strong written and verbal English skills.
Please send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.
Unfortunately, due to the high quantity of resumes that we receive every week; we will be unable to get back to you if we have passed on your application.